Liverpool fans received positive news Friday as manager Jurgen Klopp said Naby Keita could make an appearance during Sunday’s Premier League showdown with Manchester City.
“Not 100 percent sure, he had a back spasm. So we have to wait a little bit,” Klopp said of Keita.
“He will be in today; if he can do something on the training ground, I don’t know. I spoke to the doc this morning but he didn’t know. We have to see him again in a few minutes and then we will make a decision about that.”
The midfielder suffered the injury during Wednesday’s Champions League match against Napoli, and was removed from the pitch on a stretcher. Reports later suggested Keita was dealing with a heart problem.
But Ciro Mauro of Cardarelli Hospital in Naples, where Keita was evaluated, said the injury was not related to a cardiovascular problem, and that the midfielder had already been discharged. He later joked, as translated by Chris Bascombe of The Telegraph, that doctors had suggested keeping Keita for more tests so he’d miss the return leg when Napoli travel to Liverpool.
“We’ve recommended a long period of recovery so that he won’t play in Liverpool-Napoli,” Mauro said.
Liverpool, who fell 1-0 to the Italian side in the first leg of their Champions League tie, will look to regain top spot in the Premier League with a victory over defending champion Manchester City on Sunday. Despite both sides sitting on 19 points through seven matches, Pep Guardiola’s men hold the advantage thanks their superior goal differential.